CHILD & ADOLESCENT SCHEMA THERAPY WITH IDA SHAW, MAY 2019, BYRON BAY
20 May 2019
Child and Adolescent Schema Therapy (ST-CA) is an innovative and integrative therapy for children and adolescents that significantly expands on traditional approaches. Schema therapy integrates Cognitive-Behavioural, Attachment, Gestalt, Object Relations, and Emotion-focused schools with the research of Developmental Psychology into a richly unifying evidence-based treatment model.
ST-CA involves intensive work with the child and their caregivers with the aims to:
- distinguish the differences between maladaptive behaviours and age appropriate behaviours
- identify and validate the emotional needs of the child and help meet their needs through strengthening attachments and building adaptive coping strategies;
- reduce and heal early maladaptive schemas and coping strategies by a strategic integration of Cognitive, Behavioural and Experiential interventions
- educate and support caregivers in the recognition of the effects of their own schemas and modes on the children and adolescents under their care
- help the caregivers connect to their own happy child mode to improve connection with the child
- develop communication skills
In this interactive three day workshop you will gain both a theoretical understanding of the ST model and practical skills in the application of Schema Therapy with children, adolescents, and their families. The workshop will teach participants to design developmentally appropriate approaches to implement experiential mode work with children and adolescents, including drawing, puppets, imagery, mode dialogues, imagery rescripting and story-telling. The approach of ST for engaging caregivers and wider family and educational systems in treatment is also covered.
About the Presenter:
Ida Shaw is founder and director of the Schema Therapy Institute Midwest-Indianapolis, which has ISST approved Certification Training Programs in Individual, Group and Child-Adolescent (C-A) Schema Therapy. She is the Training Director of the Center for Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD) Treatment & Research, Indiana University School of Medicine – Eskenazi Mental Health Center. There is opportunity for attendees to learn didactically and experientially from Ida.
PLEASE NOTE THIS WORKSHOP IS NOW SOLD OUT; PLEASE EMAIL THROUGH EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST FOR ANY POSSIBLE CANCELLATIONS TO RITA@SCHEMATHERAPYAUSTRALIA.COM.AU
**Please note cancellations made one month prior to the workshop are fully refundable less a $50 admin fee. Refunds during the month prior are not possible.